Thursday, November 12, 2020

Afghan tribal rugs



The shepherd seeks paradise and guards against the evil eye. 

The sheep seek rich graze and protection from wolves. 

The two knives of the sheers cut in precise division. They know nothing of indecision.

The thread seeks only to connect, without regard for resentments.

The needle guides. Oblivious to all opinion and regret, it detests my tedious distinctions.

The loom cradles a universe in balance - longitudinal warp and latitude woof.

Month after month the weavers hook, tie knots, and comb. Click, click.

The knots gather, firmly rejecting insularity.

Colored woof and white warp embrace, forming lanolin-soaked immutable pigments.

Sublime gift from pomegranate, orange, henna. 

Beauty and harmony reach across politics, oceans, and generations to uplift me. Divinity mirrors at my feet. Mandalas enshrined on my floor. 







 

No comments:

sweat

It’s my birthday week. Now sixty-nine and officially old, I’ve graduated from a single birthday day. Celebrate loud. Fireworks. Candles, spa...