Sunday, July 6, 2014

Experience at world peace prayer meeting July 6, 2014

Thank you everyone for this opportunity to share my experience. When Shirley asked me if I could tell my experience I told her I am always ready, always eager to talk about how great the philosophy of Nichiren is, how great is our objective of kosen-rufu and how great is our mentor, Ikeda Sensei.

My experience is long and a bit strange. It is the story of the unlikely meeting of a lonely sickly boy and the greatest philosopher of our time, in the world's most beautiful city. If you've heard it before, if it does not interest you, or if you fall asleep I will not be offended.

I began my practice when I was 13 years old. My oldest brother introduced me when we lived in Los Angeles. This was the pioneering time of our movement in North America. Most of the members were young but none as young as me.

I do not remember exactly how Peter started. But he came home one night with some others and they enshrined his gohonzon. He began to tell me about chanting and about the philosophy of peace of Daisaku Ikeda. Pete told me that Ikeda had an idea that world peace could be achieved through individuals transforming their lives.

I was interested in peace, possibly because I did not know peace. My family was not happy. My parents fought constantly. It was not a home of love or trust or nurturing. In fact our friends told us that some of the worst times of their lives were when they visited us. I longed to live in a place of happiness but had no idea what that looked like.

My family moved a lot, always because of my father's career. We followed him wherever his career took him. I went to five different grade schools, two junior highs and two high schools.

Also I had no peace internally. I was sick constantly. My body was at war with itself. At the time I did not know the name but I have Crohn's disease. My body is allergic to my own digestive tract and tries to expel my intestine.

Pete and his new Buddhist friends taught me about Ikeda's ideas. And so I started my own practice. Unlike today there were no activities for children so I tried to go to the regular meetings, often hitch-hiking for hours across Los Angeles, even at night. My parents, of course, were vaguely concerned, but too preoccupied by their own troubles to pay much attention.

In those days the members would go to Japan for pilgrimage to the head temple. But when they came back they mostly talked about Ikeda. They would talk about how happy Ikeda was; they even said he glowed. I tried to learn from them more about Ikeda's ideas, but I had my doubts about the glowing bit.

I wanted to go with them to Japan and meet Ikeda, but they always said I was too young or I was too sick. Also it cost a huge amount of money and, of course, I had no money.

Now the bizarre part of the story begins. I heard that Ikeda-Sensei was coming to America. I was over-joyed. Finally I would meet him. Then my father told me he was going on sabbatical. My parents were going to the Middle East and Europe for a year and I had to go with them.

My joy was immediately crushed. I thought I must be the most unfortunate person alive. Ikeda was coming to Los Angeles and I would have to leave. Of course, most young people would be very happy at the idea of travelling around the world for one year. Today that would be a dream for me. But at that time, for me, it was my worst nightmare come true.

I phoned a guy I knew who worked at the organization's headquarters. He said Keith, you have to go to Europe. You can not live on your own in L.A. He said, next April, go to Paris. He gave me an address, 64 rue du Lycee, Sceaux, France.

So I received my own gohonzon and I graduated from high school early and I flew to meet my parents in Israel. In a tiny shop in Jerusaleum, once a Crusader's horse stall, Arabs sewed me a container to protect my Gohonzon. I travelled all over north Africa and Europe with my quarrelling parents. I was lonely and sick and scared.

Then in April 1972 I left my parents in Geneva and got on a train to Paris. I spoke no french, did not know anyone and only had my gohonzon and few American dollars. And I had this address my friend had given me. It was the headquarters of Soka Gakai in France. I went there and a man met me. He naturally asked what was I doing there. I said I have come from America to meet Ikeda-Sensei. He said, “Sensei is not coming.” I said, “that is ok, I will wait for him.”

So I found a tiny place to stay. Most every day I went to this place in Sceaux. I had very little money and the place where I stayed took most of what I had and so survived on one loaf of Baguette a day.

I was hungry, lonely and sickly. When I wasn't at Sceaux I either chanted or slept or wandered the streets of Paris. I saw many beautiful things. I loved the museums, parks, monuments, libraries, streets, everything. I am a bit odd, as you probably know, but although weak I had a passion inside. Something burned in me, despite me.

I met another man at the place in Sceaux. He was a doctor and the leader of the French organization. He spoke English very well and asked me why I was there. I told him I wanted to meet Ikeda-Sensei. Unlike the first man, the doctor said, “great, please help us!” I liked the doctor better.

And so, in my own stumbling, clumsy way, I tried to help the French members prepare for Sensei's arrival. Likely I caused more problems then help.

Finally Sensei and his wife were coming. The French put me in a room where I could chant. There was a big room upstairs that Sensei would have a meeting. They put me in a small room downstairs that Sensei would not go.

After the big meeting Sensei and Mrs I came into the small room where I was. He walked up to me and shook my hand. He was so happy. He glowed, just like the members said. I'd never seen anyone so happy to be where he was, in the moment. He moved with his wife with incredible grace and beauty, like a beautiful dance.

Now I will tell you why he was there. As you know Sensei has conducted dialogues with the greatest thinkers of our time. Together with dozens of great scholars and philosophers he has written many books. The dialogues are all about how to create a peaceful world. Through these dialogues Sensei and those great thinkers have identified the necessary steps out of the crises our planet faces. Over 1600 dialogues have created a kind of philosophical and practical structure for transforming humanity's destiny. Our bookstore has many of those books. If you are interested in the future of our society and our planet I heartily recommend you visit our bookstore and talk with Bokin and Sachiko and start learning.

The first of those dialogues was with the great British historian Arnold Toynbee. All the dialogues and collaborations and public work for peace that SGI engages in today grew out of that first dialogue with Toynbee. Their discussions have been translated into 28 languages. Ikeda-Sensei first met Arnold Toynbee in May of 1972 in London, england. Before going to London to meet Toynbee, Sensei and Mrs I came to Paris for one week to prepare, to celebrate May 3 and to celebrate their anniversary. It was his first May 3rd outside Japan.

At the time I knew none of this. All I knew was he and I were together in this amazing city of light. I spent a week with Ikeda and his wife. We did gongyo together every day. In my own stumbling, clumsy way I fought with all my might for that week to help him. His secretary, a man named Harada who is now president of Soka Gakkai, assigned me various tasks. People came from all over Europe and Africa to meet him. He and Mrs I tirelessly encouraged members and non-members, children and VIPs. Mrs I put on a simple, beautiful kimono and they visited the Louvre. One morning after gongyo Sensei patiently taught two hundred people how to perform the Japanese tea ceremony. And all the while he quietly prepared for Toynbee. During that week I made a pledge. I decided that whatever else I did with my life I would try to help him in his work and protect him from his enemies. I was seventeen years old.

After that experience I returned to Los Angeles. I thought my life would soar, but actually my life declined in every respect from that time. My health deteriorated severely. Finally I had surgery and they removed a huge portion of my intestine. I was in the hospital for over six months. I lost my job and dropped out of university. I lost my girl friend. I lost my car. I started stealing things to sell. I was thrown into jail twice.

I thought I was so smart, seen so much, done so much. But just like John Snow in Game of Thrones, I knew nothing. I was a mess.

Eventually I came to Calgary and met my one true love.

Now life is long and has many twists and turns and many ups and downs. I have done many stupid things and met many wonderful, interesting people and had many amazing experiences. I have seen great beauty and witnessed tremendous ugliness.

But not for one day, no matter how low or how high I've been, not for one day have I forgotten the pledge I made that spring in Paris. And in my own stumbling, clumsy way I have tried to be true to that decision. Hemingway was absolutely right – the feast has moved with me.

And very slowly, slower perhaps than necessary, I have built peace inside me. Together with the love of my life, my dearest Yoshiko, we have built a family and a home where people can come and be refreshed, be encouraged and find hope.

Last Tuesday, we celebrated Canada Day. Yoshiko and I had guests from Saskatchewan, a wonderful family. A beautiful man, his wife and three lovely bright children stayed at our place for a holiday. They are not members, never heard of SGI. But on Tuesday, Canada day, something happened. The man's mother passed away in Saskatoon. His celebration turned to anguish. His holiday in Alberta turned to regrets for not being with his mother. So we took him to our prayer room and together chanted and prayed and grieved and found hope.


Thank you for listening.  

1 comment:

Winnie said...

Thank you for sharing Keith. I am so glad to know you and Yoshiko. Blessings to you both. May you be peaceful.

sweat

It’s my birthday week. Now sixty-nine and officially old, I’ve graduated from a single birthday day. Celebrate loud. Fireworks. Candles, spa...